Free Evangelical Lutheran Synod in South Africa (FELSISA)
The origins of the FELSISA lay in the spiritual awakening in the Lueneburg Heath in Germany in the middle of the 19th century and the subsequent mission work done by the Hermannsburg Mission Society in South Africa when many “colonists” immigrated to support the proclamation of the Gospel among the heathens. The FELSISA was founded in 1892 for reasons of church fellowship issues with unionistic churches in Germany.
From the beginning FELSISA has supported the Bleckmar Mission and now cooperates with the Lutheran Church in Southern Africa, which evolved from this mission work in 1967. FELSISA is still very “German” in character. The majority of its congregations conduct their services in the German language and have additional services in either English or Afrikaans. A few congregations use English or Afrikaans only.
In recent years closer contacts to other Lutheran Confessional churches were sought and in 1995 FELSISA became a member of the ILC.
|Free Evangelical Lutheran Synod in South Africa
Broughton (Pietermaritzburg) 3201
P.O. Box 21559, Mayors Walk, 3208
Phone: +2782 524 0012
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Baptized Members: 2,959
Communicant Members: 2,303
Active Pastors: 20
|Bishop: Rev. Helmut Paul|