The International Lutheran Council is led by an elected Board of Directors composed of a Chairman and Secretary as well as one representative from each of its five World Areas (Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and North America). The Board elects a Vice Chairman from among its own members. The Board may also appoint additional members to the committee as it deems necessary.
As of 2020, the Board of Directors is composed of:
- – Chairman Hans-Jörg Voigt (Bishop of the Independent Evangelical Lutheran Church of Germany – SELK)
- – Secretary President Gijsbertus van Hattem (President of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Belgium – ELKB)
- – Africa Representative Bishop Dieter Reinstorf (Free Evangelical Lutheran Synod in South Africa – FELSISA)
- – Asia Representative President Antonio Reyes (Lutheran Church in the Philippines – LCP)
- – Europe Representative Chairman George Samiec (Evangelical Lutheran Church of England – ELCE)
- – Latin America Representative VACANT
- – North America Representative Timothy Teuscher (Lutheran Church-Canada – LCC)
- – Appointed Member Rev. Dr. Robert Bugbee (Lutheran Church-Canada – LCC)
- – Appointed Member President Matthew C. Harrison (The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod – LCMS)
- – General Secretary Rev. Dr. Timothy C.J. Quill (non-voting, ex oficio)
The Treasurer of the International Lutheran Council is Mr. Gerry Wiley.