The International Lutheran Council is a growing worldwide association of established confessional Lutheran church bodies which proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ on the basis of an unconditional commitment to the Holy Scriptures as the inspired and infallible Word of God and to the Lutheran Confessions contained in the Book of Concord as the true and faithful exposition of the Word of God.
The ILC is not a church body nor does it carry out churchly functions. It does not intend to prescribe any course of action for its members, but rather seeks to assist and strengthen them in their confessional witness and mission. It exists to encourage, strengthen, and promote confessional Lutheran theology and practice centering in Jesus Christ, both among member churches and throughout the world:
- by providing opportunities for the joint study of contemporary theological issues.
- by giving mutual support and encouragement to the heads of member church bodies.
- by encouraging and assisting member churches in planning for mission outreach.
- by strengthening theological education through conferences of theologians and seminary teachers, mission staffs and those involved with human care.
- by facilitating communication between confessional Lutheran churches of the world through the publication of ILC News.
- by stimulating and facilitating the preparation and publication of confessional Lutheran literature.
Member church bodies contribute, on an annual basis, financial support (based on their baptized membership and the GNP of the country in which it exists) for the costs of operating the ILC. Meetings of the ILC take place on the basis of a three year cycle—in year one, regional meetings takes place, in year two the entire Council meets in conference, and in year three, a conference of representatives from each of the ILC seminaries is held.
For additional information, please contact:
International Lutheran Council
PO Box 18775
St. Louis, MO 63118
Telephone: +1-314-800-0310 • FAX: +1-314-814-8062 • E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org